Director, Policy and Regulatory Affairs
About Aypa Power:
Aypa Power, a Blackstone portfolio company, is a pioneer and leading developer, owner and operator of energy storage and hybrid renewable projects. We design customized energy storage and generation projects for a range of applications that benefit both commercial and industrial customers, as well as utilities that power our communities and cities. Working closely with our diverse range of partners, we’re creating a world powered by affordable, sustainable, and reliable energy.
Aypa is seeking an experienced renewable energy policy professional to lead our policy and regulatory efforts across the U.S., with a particular focus on California. This role will involve a mix of detailed state regulatory and regional electric market policy analysis, identification of potential business opportunities and risks, and strategic recommendations for project development and advocacy efforts. This role will be directly responsible for all policy and regulatory development in California and will be responsible for overseeing all other Aypa policy and regulatory monitoring and advocacy activity across the United States and Canada. The Director of Policy and Regulatory Affairs will report to the Chief Development Officer.
- Closely monitor energy storage and renewable regulatory and policy developments in California and WECC
- Oversee Aypa’s regulatory and policy monitoring efforts across the U.S. and Canada and ensure Aypa’s team is well informed on key regulatory and legislative developments in other priority markets
- Synthesize large amounts of policy and regulatory information and provide succinct written reports on a biweekly basis identifying key developments, business opportunities and risks for Aypa executive team
- Assist in the creation and refinement of project development and power marketing strategies in various North American markets, both based on current regulatory frameworks as well as projected/desired evolutions in such markets
- Work closely with Aypa development team to support project-specific development and market expansion efforts
- Develop policy and advocacy strategy in California, WECC and other key markets, manage regulatory processes, prepare submissions, and represent Aypa before state and federal policy makers and regulators to help bring about desired market changes
- Participate in stakeholder engagement, effectively communicate the benefits of energy storage and help build strategic partnerships and coalitions for its advancement
- Work collaboratively with other stakeholders, including electric utilities, renewable energy companies, energy consumer groups, environmental groups and trade unions, to help achieve Aypa’s business objective
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field; graduate degree in related field desirable.
- Experience in policy/regulatory role responsible for supporting energy storage and/or renewable project development required; direct energy project development experience desirable.
- Strong strategic thinker, able to identify risks and opportunities and work with development team to promptly seize opportunities
- Significant experience in California renewable energy regulation and policy required. Experience with renewable energy regulation and policy in other key North American markets (i.e., ERCOT, WECC, NYISO, PJM, ISO-NE, AESO, Ontario IESO) desirable.
- Experience in renewable energy policy development or advocacy before state regulatory commissions and/or wholesale market operators.
- Expertise in resource adequacy, grid reliability planning, grid decarbonization planning, or wholesale market design.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, particularly the ability to distill large amounts of complex information into clear, succinct analysis.
- Strong organizational and people management skills, with the flexibility and creativity to thrive in a fast paced, high growth environment.
- Strong relationships with regulators and energy policy stakeholders.
- Ability to travel within the US and Canada up to 25% (once regular traveling resumes).
Compensation and Location:
- Job Type: Permanent, Full-time
- Salary: A base salary commensurate with experience.
- Bonus: An annual bonus will be awarded based on both individual performance as well as the overall success of the business.
- Benefits: Aypa offers an attractive benefit package with excellent health care / dental / vision, 401k matching, and other health and wellness benefits.
- Location: Ability to work in the United States is a requirement. Preference for candidate to be based in California or Austin, TX; however, location of workplace is flexible provided candidate is able to travel as required.
Aypa Power is an equal opportunity employer. Please note, while we appreciate all applications only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.