Director/VP- Energy Storage EPC
About Aypa Power:
Aypa Power, a Blackstone portfolio company, is a pioneer and leading developer, owner and operator of energy storage and hybrid renewable projects. We design customized energy storage and generation projects for a range of applications that benefit both commercial and industrial customers, as well as utilities that power our communities and cities. Working closely with our diverse range of partners, we’re creating a world powered by affordable, sustainable, and reliable energy.
We are looking for an Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) leader to spearhead and oversee the development, implementation and closing of all EPC activities necessary for the Standalone and Hybrid Energy Storage Systems. This position leads negotiations with stakeholders in new Energy Storage and renewable hybrid projects including, but not limited to, independent system operators, consultants and permitting and regulatory agencies. This includes project conceptualization, management of design engineering, development fatal flaw analysis, equipment and vendor selection analysis, vendor, EPC negotiation and management, construction management, and operations and maintenance planning and analysis. This position will collaborate with an interdisciplinary team involved in all stages of project development and commercialization.
Serves as a subject matter expert and provides market intelligence regarding AYPA’s project development in the Battery Energy Storage portfolio. Actively support a variety of new generation project development and existing project expansions regarding Battery Storage. Leads teams in proposal development and internal management presentations. The position will report directly to the CTO.
- Provide technical vendor reviews, qualifications to strengthen, and maintaining existing contacts of major equipment suppliers and develop new vendor relationships.
- Understand the various battery technologies and industry practices to provide guidance to the organization on the application of technology. Educate the procurement, engineering, and operations teams on latest industry technology.
- Evaluate available and emerging storage technologies and communicate new technology development and risks associated with the new technology.
- Provide direction and assist in corporate response to RFPs/RFQs regarding plant integrator, equipment, and technology selection.
- Collaborates with the Development team in the preparation and coordination of proposals, proposal materials, and other marketing efforts in support of the market segment. This may include gathering, verifying, and formatting proposal information.
- Ensure the highest level of environmental health and safety in all engineering and design aspects of energy storage projects.
- Responsible for the development, review and technical oversight of engineering requirements and design of energy storage and hybrid projects.
- Review/approve the work of consultants used on projects to ensure consistent and cost-effective designs and timely delivery.
- Support the procurement of equipment by maintaining continuous interface with vendor’s technical personnel and performing technical bid evaluation to ensure compliance to specifications.
- Manages activities of broad functional area through first level management and professionals, including full human resources, cost, and budgetary accountability.
- Uses advanced knowledge of own function, including a solid understanding of contract documentation and broad knowledge of other functions.
- Serves as senior advisor to management; influences highly complex decisions regarding the direction or operation of department.
- Identifies and takes ownership for developing ideas for technical or business improvement initiatives that impact department/division.
- Negotiate and influence – interprets department policies and services, conflicts, and influences outcomes on matters of significance to the department/division.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Masters or PhD a plus
- Expert knowledge with experience in renewable energy systems; requires minimum of 5+ years project execution experience including deal negotiation.
- Grid connected BESS or any inverter-based generation experience is a must.
- Wind and/or Solar system commissioning or design experience is a plus
- Willingness to travel as needed, up to 30% of the time.
- Knowledge of the National Electric Code
- Proven experience in design and delivery of grid scale bulk energy storage technology solutions.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration will weigh heavily in the evaluation and selection of candidates.
Compensation and Location:
- Job Type: Permanent, Full-time
- Location: Austin, TX
- Salary: A base salary commensurate with experience
- Bonus: An annual bonus will be awarded based on both individual performance as well as the overall success of the business
- Benefits: Aypa offers an attractive benefits package with excellent health care/dental/vision, 401k matching, and other health and wellness benefit
Aypa Power is an equal opportunity employer. Please note, while we appreciate all applications only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.