Manager, Ontario Energy Storage Assets
About Aypa Power:
Aypa Power, a Blackstone portfolio company, is a pioneer and leading developer, owner and operator of energy storage and hybrid renewable projects, with a leadership team that is deeply experienced in developing, contracting, financing, owning, and operating C&I and utility-scale battery storage and renewable energy projects. We design customized energy storage and generation projects for a range of applications that benefit both commercial and industrial customers, as well as utilities that power our communities and cities. Working closely with our diverse range of partners, we’re creating a world powered by affordable, sustainable, and reliable energy.
- Manager, Ontario Energy Storage Assets
This position involves extensive data manipulation and analytics combined with excel commercial modelling of various grid-scale BESS and Solar + Storage concerns. Applicants should be comfortable in a fast-paced and dynamic environment and should also be comfortable in a company culture that is collegial, and team orientated.
Deal Origination Analytical support:
- Collect electricity usage data for potential clients from commercial and industrial facilities. Perform statistical and financial analyses of electricity usage data to recommend best-fit system sizing and maximize value for prospective clients and Aypa Power.
- Develop proposals, presentations, and other documents describing organizational products and services in response to requests from prospective clients
- Participate in meetings with prospective clients. Present the results of analyses of their electricity usage data and investigate site-specific factors that have affected or could affect their electricity usage.
- Integrate detailed commercial and technical information to generate comprehensive responses to RFPs from prospective clients
Contract & Relationship Management:
- Maintain relationships and correspondence with clients and third parties regarding metering, billing, and settlements.
- Project Optimization:
- Interface with engineering to evaluate potential interconnection designs. Reconcile interconnection designs with analyses of electricity usage data.
- Work closely with internal groups including legal and engineering to support business development objectives
- Participate in policy working groups and provide updates to management on policy developments. Assess how policy changes will affect the business case for energy storage and renewable energy in Ontario.
- Research market rules, requirements, and prices to evaluate and develop action plans to take advantage of new opportunities
- Manage the operational interaction with the IESO of a portfolio of Ontario-based distributed energy resource assets which includes but is not limited to the following:
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of Capacity Auction and Operating Reserve market rules
- Collect asset-specific information and interface with the IESO to enable participation in the Capacity Auction and Operating Reserve markets, and ensure assets are kept in good standing
- Manage the entire Capacity Auction process from enrolling capacity auction participants to submitting offers into the auction, to registering contributors to resources that have been awarded capacity, to submitting bids into the energy market
- Manage the augmentation and registration of assets to enable participation in Operating Reserve markets
- Work with engineering and software teams to automate bidding and dispatch processes.
- Entering Bids and charging and discharging instructions.
- Interface with data analytics and operations to determine asset optimization and energy arbitrage opportunities
- Responding to IESO Capacity Auction Audits.
- Pulling the proper data and organizing it in the proper IESO format.
- IESO Demand Response experience is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, mathematics, computer science, economics or other quantitative disciplines strongly preferred. However, consideration will be given to candidates with less quantitative educational backgrounds who can demonstrate significant data analysis and excel modelling skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Outstanding writing and technical communication skills
- Experience with financial or other excel modelling would be considered an asset
- Familiarity with commercial and industrial facilities and their operations would be considered an asset
- Previous experience in renewable energy and/or energy storage development, design, construction, behind the meter generation /energy storage, and/or operations/asset management would be considered an asset
- Experience using programming languages like R or Python to perform statistical analyses would be considered an asset
- Experience with MySQL, Matlab or MS BI would be considered an asset.
At Aypa Powe we offer:
- A dynamic team and work environment
- An opportunity to learn the business from the ground up with an industry leader
- Ongoing opportunities for learning and development
- An innovative culture
- Flexibility and autonomy
Compensation and Location:
- Job Type: Permanent, Full-time
- Location: Toronto, ON
- Salary: A base salary commensurate with experience
- Bonus: An annual bonus will be awarded based on both individual performance as well as the overall success of the business.
- Benefits: Aypa offers an attractive benefit package
Aypa Power is an equal opportunity employer. Please note, while we appreciate all applications only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.