Transmission Planning Intern
About Aypa Power
Aypa Power, a Blackstone portfolio company, is a pioneer and leading developer and operator of energy storage projects with a proven track record of financing, developing, owning, and operating MW-scale battery storage and renewable energy projects. We design customized energy storage and generation projects for a range of applications, including microgrids and distributed energy resources, commercial and industrial facilities, and utility-scale systems that can power entire cities. Working closely with our diverse range of partners, we’re creating a world powered by affordable, sustainable, and reliable energy.
Report to Director of Transmission & Commercial Analytics
- Full time internship/co-op opportunity 12-16 weeks
- Remote – US
- Provide overall transmission related analytics and support to the overall project portfolio. This will include support for greenfield development as well as our existing portfolio of projects.
- Run analysis to foster a deep understanding of nodal pricing components of energy, congestion, and marginal losses as well as physical losses to support offtake.
- Determine optimum strategy for interconnecting the project output to the electric grid based on curtailment potential, interconnection costs, system impact assessments, real-time energy pricing, and market delivery options.
- Assess the technical and commercial feasibility for interconnection and delivery options proposed for third-party projects in which our company is considering acquiring or providing services.
- Identify and assess opportunities for the development and construction of new transmission lines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering with power system coursework/specialization
- PhD in Electrical Engineering with power system research (preferred)
- An advanced understanding of the North American electric utility industry
- Proficiency in one or more power systems analysis tools (Powerword, PSS/E, PSLF, TARA MATPOWER)
- Experience with PROMOD/AURORA (preferred)
- Advanced understanding of linear sensitivity factors, power system transaction management and economic dispatch through coursework or work experience
- Able to establish relationships with transmission planners within ISO/RTOs and gain information that can be levered to benefit the team.
- Proven ability to be a creative thinker and devise winning strategies on complex issues.
- Able to communicate effectively in both commercial and technical venues on a stand-alone basis.
At Aypa Power we offer
- A dynamic team and work environment
- An opportunity to learn the business from the ground-up with an industry leader
- Ongoing opportunities for learning and development
- A competitive compensation and benefits package
- An innovative culture
- Flexibility and autonomy
Aypa Power is an equal opportunity employer. Please note, while we appreciate all applications only qualified candidates will be contacted.